Ham is gorgeous, at least I certainly think so. But is ham bad for you? I guess you will want to know the answer to this as this is often the case. Usually, when something tastes so great, we are then informed that it is in some way bad for us!
Well In this post, I aim to list the good and the bad facts about the ham, and then ultimately, you must decide how often you wish to eat it, if at all. By the end of this post, it will the answer to is ham bad for you or not. And it will allow you to make a much better decision in finding the best foods to eat and lose weight.
Advantages Of Eating Ham
- It has to be said, like all red meats, it is a great deliverer of protein to us humans, so this has to be one of the enormous positive points of eating it. This will, as you most are maybe aware, will help you to feel fuller for much longer, thus keeping you away from snacking on junk foods. A significant positive, in my opinion.
- Lean deli ham is excellent (Lean = low in fat) and contains small amounts of potassium but a large amount of sodium (salt), which can prove to be a no-go area if you are undergoing any dietary awareness feats (diets).
- Amazingly a serving of just over 3.5 ounces of the deli bought lean ham will give you a big 16.5 grams of protein, and it is around a third of the RDA (Recommended Daily Allowance) that they say for the average person’s protein intake. I find this point, in particular, to be a huge positive.
- The requirements for the body’s zinc intake is 6-11 milligrams. Lean deli ham supplies 1.6 milligrams of this, so if eaten regularly will serve us only in a positive manner. However, see negatives)
- If left unopened, it will last 5-8 months if it is kept in the freezer and frozen on the day of purchase, which is a considerable length of time indeed. The same ham, if it is in the fridge, will last from between 1 and 2 weeks past the “sell by” date. That, again, allows some time for its consumption.
- You can either cure ham wet or dry. It can have age, or you can even smoke it. And as such, they have a longer shelf life than any of the fresh meats.
Is Ham Bad For You Though?
- Also, too much sodium can increase the risk of stroke, hypertension, and even kidney disease. So, aside from your weight issues, this also is something that we should be aware of!
- To help to preserve the meat and improve its flavor. Some people will use nitrates. It happens when you cure ham and ham steaks. Scientists think that it may be one of the causes of certain kinds of cancers.
- As I am saying, the sodium content in the ham has to be of some concern to us. So, regularly munching your way through a lot of it is not suitable for us. We should all, by now, realize that salt is not ideal for the body. That is why to soak the ham in warm water for up to 12 hours before the cooking of it. That will help to remove some (not all) of the excess salt from it.
Please also remember you do not need actually to eat food. Not at all. You can get what your body needs from making easy juicing recipes for health and weight loss!
They Are The Pros And Cons To Eating Ham
These are the main pros and cons of eating what otherwise delicious ham is. So, is ham bad for you? No, I do not believe that it is. Please, take note of the negatives. And now on to something a lot more positive. You are surely feeling positive towards your weight loss task, yes.
You see, once you have got your diet under control. Then, all that you need to have is the other half of the solution. That is for your weight loss attempt to be a success. What of what am I talking about? The exercise, of course.
Please leave any comments or questions about the weight loss below, and I will reply to you within 24 hours.
All of this information is for learning only. And it is not to take over any medical advice that has its suggestion.